Welcome to PM Calculators, a site dedicated to providing excellent online calculators for business management, including project management. In this post we will use our online critical path method (CPM) calculator and PERT-CPM diagram to develop critical path method examples.
In the following examples, we will perform critical path analysis and CPM network diagrams (Activity-on-node).
We have taken the critical path method problems from the major operations management books used in university teaching as
- Krajewski, L. J., Malhotra, M. K., & Ritzman, L. P. (2015). Operations Management: Processes and Supply Chains, Student Value Edition (11th Edition) (11th ed.). Pearson.
- Heizer, J., & Render, B. (2013). Operations Management (11th Edition) (11th ed.). Pearson.
The following information is known about a project to upgrade a point-of-sale system at Kids and Tots Apparel.
|Activity||Activity Time (days)||Immediate Predecessor(s)|
- Draw a network diagram for this project.
- Determine the critical path and project duration.
- Calculate the slack for each activity.
a. The network diagram is:
The activity diagram in nodes with all time and float calculations is:
b. The results of the project are:
The critical path is:
A → B → D → E → G
The total project time is: 29 days
c. The following table shows the results for each activity:
|Activity||Time||Early Start (ES)||Early Finish (EF)||Late Start (LS)||Late Finish (LF)||Slack (S)|
We got the example from Krajewski’s book (1) Chapter 7, Problem 2.